Well Nancy, I have fixed the 1951 Ford F3. The flathead 239 blew a head gasket. The block looks to be freshly bored .080 over, and there was only a slight ridge on the cylinder wall. This tells me the motor is fresh. In addition, if the pristineness of the piston tops, cylinder walls and valves are any indication, this motor has maybe 5,000 miles on it. That is what they call cherry. I had the heads sanded at Buds machine. He has a sanding belt table and we only took off maybe 3 thousandths.
I had the heads sanded at Buds machine. He has a sanding belt table and we only took off maybe 3 thousandths.
I have built copious VW bug race motors and have done a lot of port and polishing. The Ford flathead engine has a heinous head and cylinder design. The ports are cast in the block making porting impossible. Word is that an aftermarket flathead aluminum cylinder heads add zero HP. The only bolt-ons that make better horsepower are two carbs and a header, I just scored on a Holley 94 on Ebay for $50 shipped. Now all I needs is an Offenhauser duel carb intake, and I am in Flathead heaven. I really want a C4 automatic and a 3.73 rear end. That would make this truck quite drivable on the highway.
So anyways, I put the heads back on without pulling threads. I torqued the heads to 50 pounds instead of 65. I will retorque to 55 after the first heat cycle. AVW bug holds a head on with 4 studs and 22-foot pounds, so 50-55 will do on a flathead. I also put in new thermostats but had a hard time sealing the left Tstat housing. So, I fat filed it, bead blasted the crack and sealed it with two rounds of $1.99 Harborfreight JB weld. The crack only showed itself when the bolts were tightened, so I sealed it on the inside and also the outside. Then I installed it and put more JB Weld on the less than hairline crack. I ordered new Tstat housings and they will be here next week.
I will drive the campaign truck around this weekend.